Kenya Safari: The Big 5
Trip 1: July 26–August 5, 2023 (main trip); August 4–7, 2023 (post-tour program)
Trip 2: August 4–14, 2023 (main trip); August 13–16 (post-tour program)
Costs: Starting at $6,995 per person for main trip and $2,495 per person for post- tour program
Vaccination Requirements: Proof of vaccination or negative Covid-test prior to arrival
Trip Overview and Highlights
Spot for the "Big 5" during this 11-day journey featuring unparalleled access to Kenya's national parks, reserves, and conservancies. Along with the guidance of an Orbridge Expedition Leader and remarkable accommodations, this adventure provides a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness the spectacular array of wildlife in one of the most unspoiled places on earth.
- Explore extraordinary national parks and reserves in Kenya—each featuring unrivaled wildlife and habitat diversity—with opportunities to observe the "Big 5" (endangered black rhino, leopard, elephant, buffalo, and lion)
- Retreat to luxurious lodges and tented camps, each uniquely beautiful and authentic in décor
- Enjoy daily game drives—accompanied by an Orbridge Expedition Leader and expert naturalist safari guides—aboard customized 4x4 vehicles
- Visit the Ol Pejeta Conservancy, an organization dedicated to wildlife preservation and the economic growth and improvement of surrounding rural communities. Ol Pejeta is home to the largest black rhino sanctuary in East Africa, which also houses the only two remaining northern white rhinos in the world.
- Observe land and avian wildlife during game drives through Lake Nakuru National Park, described as the greatest ornithological spectacle in the world
- Discover the Maasai Mara National Reserve, where approximately 95 species of mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and over 400 bird species have been recorded
- Take an optional hot air balloon safari over the Maasai Mara (additional fee).
What is Included
- 8 nights’ accommodations at deluxe lodges and tented camps
- 8 breakfasts, 8 lunches, and 7 dinners. including a special farewell dinner
- Expert naturalist guides throughout
- Daily game drives in open-air vehicles with filtered water provided
- All main program gratuities, as well as taxes, service charges, and park fees
- Internal airfare from Maasai Mara to Nairobi on day 10
- A day room on departure day
- Airport transfers for guests arriving and departing during the suggested times
Optional Amboseli Post-Tour
- Internal airfare from Maasai Mara to Amboseli
- 2 nights’ accommodations at Ol Tukai Lodge
- 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners
- Admission to Amboseli National Park
- 3 guided game drives
- All excursion transportation
- A day room on departure day
- Airport transfer for guests departing at the suggested time
Accommodations are subject to change. Should specific accommodations be unavailable, Orbridge will seek alternative accommodations of an equal or higher standard.
What is Not Included
- Trip cancellation insurance and passenger travel protection plan
- Airfare and any checked luggage fees charged by the airline
- Transfers except in connection with scheduled group flights
- Meals and beverages other than those specified as included in the itinerary
- Items of a personal nature such as communication charges, sundries and laundry
- Any necessary COVID-19 testing required for entry to destinations or upon return home
- Any items not on the “included” list
Trip Activity Level: Moderate
This trip requires an ability to walk safely over uneven and slippery ground without assistance, transport luggage a short distance, get in and out of a 4x4 vehicle, and physically tolerate vehicle motion on sometimes bumpy roads.
Contact Principia Lifelong Learning at 314.514.3153 to learn about other PLL travel opportunities.
Meet Your Trip Scholar
Renee Bumpus is the Chief Animal Conservation Officer at the Palm Beach Zoo & Conservation Center and serves as a board member for conservation peacebuilding and conservation leadership organizations. For over 2 decades, Renee has worked in wildlife conservation around the world participating in field research on African carnivores and other species. She has worked with Dr. Jane Goodall and National Geographic on wildlife projects and sits on the advisory board for the Somali Giraffe and Hirola Conservation Program in Kenya. Renee joined PLL travelers in summer of 2022 as trip scholar for the two Kenya trips. PLL is delighted to welcome her back in this role for the 2023 trips.